It has been a great week. I am excited about the new companion and I am now going for a record for most companions in a mission. haha. I have been reading about Ammon in the book of mormon. He is my favorite person in the book of mormon. The faith and the courage he had is just amazing. What is your favorite Book of Mormon character? Thanks for all the love and support. Have a great week.
Love Elder Beck
FUN FACTS ABOUT RWANDA....
· (6 missionaries, 3 branches, one truck, one missionary couple from Blackfoot, Idaho).
Kigali, Rwanda (where he is now has a population of more than 1 million, is the capital and largest city of Rwanda. It is situated near the geographic center of the nation.)
Official language of Rwanda is English but many speak French, Kinyarwanda, or Swahili. They use interpreters at times but mostly teach people who know English.
The church has been in Rwanda for 7-8 years with missionaries only being in Rwanda for the last 2 years. Elder Beck is one of about 50 missionaries to have served there.
Elder Beck has been out for 4 months and has had 4 companions, including one in the MTC. His other companions have been the Zone Leader in Rwanda. His first companion in Rwanda was from Idaho Falls, (the others from California and Utah).
Most people in Rwanda have not heard of the LDS church. They are ready to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ and it is not unusual to have a baptism or more weekly.
1. Are you learning any Kinyarwanda or French? Do they have interpreters at church?
I am not learning any french really, but I am learning a little Kinyarwanda for fun. It is fun to learn it.
2. What are some of the local sayings and interesting things people say in your area?
They say "supa" for super, we say "you're the best "a lot, they talk a lot with grunts,
3. How do you like the truck you drive? Is it new- ish?
The truck is nice. We call it the Iron Stallion. It is pretty old for a mission truck, but I still like it a lot. It is disiel. They could be getting a new truck soon.
4. How's your fellow missionary who had the appendectomy doing?
He is doing well. He is pretty much full strength and going out right now.
5. Do you think men or women are more receptive to the gospel message? Or mixed?
It is kind of mixed, but i would probably have to say men. Women sometimes seem prideful here.
6. do you have time for service work or are you too busy teaching?